Cosmetics are most women’s best friend – especially if they are chemical free. However, some women don’t care about the chemicals, especially if they have never had any trouble with their skin, so for those women who want to get gorgeous with cosmetics, here are a few tips that you may not have heard about before.
- Mix pearly white or golden eye shadow with your foundation for a luminescent look.
- For an instant makeover, swipe your favourite lipstick over your cheeks, eyelids and lips, then blend it all over your face.
- Add blush to the cheeks before you apply foundation for a coming straight from under the skin glow.
- Pink or red blush should go on the ‘apple’ of the cheek. Peach/orange tones should go on the highest point of the cheekbones while bronze tones should be placed on prominent points where the sun hits such as the bridge of the nose, chin and forehead.
- Look for products with anti-aging properties such as peptides, hyaluronic acid and collagen to help prevent those fine lines and wrinkles, rather than having to treat them afterwards. Prevention is better than cure.
- Make moisturiser your friend as it also helps to keep your skin looking youthful and radiant.
- A liner of flesh colour used on the water line of your lower lashes will make your eyes look bigger.
- Brighten your face by dabbing a shimmery champagne colour to the inner eye corner.
- Powder used to be the in thing years ago. Now we realise it actually emphasises fine lines and wrinkles, so if you are over 35, a tinted moisturiser is a better option.
- Redefine your lips by adding a small amount of concealer or foundation first – this will also prevent lipstick from running.
- Use a lip pencil in neutral or natural shades to draw a line slightly above your top lip and below your bottom lip to increase fullness. Fill the colour in everywhere but the centre of the top and bottom lips, where you need a dab of concealer. Then fill the lips in with your chosen lip colour. The centre of your lips will look slightly lighter and hence, fuller. Finish with a shimmery lip gloss; it will reflect the light and again, make your lips look fuller.
- Don’t go overboard with cosmetics; less is more, giving you today’s more natural look. You don’t want thick cosmetics plastered on over your skin.
- The natural look includes softer skin tones, rather than blood red lipstick on dramatic black eye shadow.
Once you learn to apply cosmetics properly they will do much to enhance your looks. If you are just starting out with make-up, get some lessons or practice with friends until you get the look that suits you best.